Is it just me?

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Fri Aug 25 14:54:35 BST 2006

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 02:41:38PM +0100, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> Or is 'Christian' a bit mental as a qualification?
>
> http://jobs.perl.org/job/4564
>
> I would have hoped that religious discrimination against potential
> employees was at least frowned upon - if not actually illegal - in
> most countries.
>
> (Obviously if you're applying to be pope or something it might be
> different...)

I've just been asking about this on #perl. The consensus there was that:
1) it probably is "actionable" in the USA, in general
2) good luck getting a dollar out of the guy
3) if they're a church or other religious charity they may be permitted
to restrict their recruitment to people of their faith, potentially. The
point being that anything a church does can be considered religious
work, and that's a loophole for them.

The ad's been posted before, it didn't say "compensated volunteer" then.
Which may also be some kind of loophole.

Personally, I find it quite unreasonable that jobs.perl.org condones
discrimination, but who knows what the deal is.

I emailed the poster about a previous ad they posted, and they started
mailing me biblical quotes and asking me about my religious beliefs. I
told them I wasn't prepared to discuss my personal beliefs and that if
they had a project to discuss to send me some details. Never heard back
beyond that.

/joel