Non Sucking YAML parser

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Wed Sep 13 16:20:38 BST 2006

* dams (dams at gentoo.org) [060913 14:22]:
> Le Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:28:29 +0100,
> Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk> a écrit :
> > * the signal to noise ratio of xml is way too low.
> > * the perl xml toolsets tend to be very large and not that quick.
> > * the perl xml toolsets are not completely reliable.
> > * and then there are the interfaces....
>
> I liked working with XML::Twig, it has a bunch of ways to do things
> quickly.

If you pick XML, you probably want to write a specification for
your data structures.  Then, you may consider to use XML schema's.
They are more verbose than useful, and require some study.  However, it
is widely accepted in the business world.

When you choose to create a schema for your data-exchange, you may take
a look at my new module XML::Compile.  It hides *all* XML processing
from your program, is very fast, validating, processes types strictly,
and does name-spaces correctly.  Written because the existing modules
were to sloppy and slow for my taste.

On the down-side: XML::Compile is rather new; it needs real-life
applications and requires larger examples.  The final few schema
features are to be implemented soon.  Some more typical perlish magic
would be welcome.  A challenge?

The plan is to extend this module (based on XML::LibXML) into an
alternative for SOAP::Lite and SOAP::WSDL.
--
               MarkOv