Non Sucking YAML parser

Jonathan Stowe jns at gellyfish.com
Thu Sep 14 12:59:22 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 12:40 +0200, Mark Overmeer wrote:
> * Dirk Koopman (djk at tobit.co.uk) [060914 10:07]:

> > 2. Protocols.
> >                                      ...... They also tend to use huge
> > tagnames and don't factorise.
>
> Both are caused by these massive tools-which-simplify-simple-things,
> like BEA, where people click to create Java and web-pages.  All nicely
> integrated, so everything breaks at the same time.  These Java names
> are horrible (there are your huge tagnames). People develop based on
> their internal needs, and the generate interfaces (WSDL), which is
> a sin against software maintenance.  The interfaces should be designed
> first, and then the internals must connect to that.  A lot of the
> objections against XML are actually problems caused by these applications.

There is of course this horrible (and largely false) assumption that the
schema and wsdl and so forth will never be seen by human eyes and that
they will be passed from code generator to code generator without nary a
human intervention. .NET is equally as bad, and I am looking at code
here with a partially autogenerated class with the name of
"DOWNLOAD_REPLYTRANSMISSION".  Of course I blame the programmers,
whatever happened to giving things concise names.

/J\