I want a new super-power

Philippe Bruhat BooK philippe.bruhat at free.fr
Tue Oct 3 07:16:10 BST 2006

Hi,

I want to improve my presentation skills. I can't help but notice
that most of the great speakers I've seen at conferences seem to have
superpowers: they control their computers from the other end of the stage.

I'd love to have the power of telekinesy, but if I had it I'd probably run
around with a cape and a mask (telekinesy is very useful when you have to
drag a cape around, believe me), and not give talks at Perl conferences.

Anyway, I'm ready to go with an alternative to telekinesy: the remote
control. (I know I need more than that to really improve my presentation
skills, but I chose the lazy way: buy some tech toy to solve what I
think is my problem.)

So far, I've found these:
* Fujitsu-Siemens Presenter II
  http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/home/products/keyboards_mice/presenter_II.html
* Ceratch MOUAC-007
  http://www.ceratech.co.uk/cpages/remotes/presentation/mouac-007.htm
* Keyspan Presentation Remote
  http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/presentationremote/
* Kensington has two of them:
  http://uk.kensington.com/html/11630.html
  http://uk.kensington.com/html/7306.html

Mmm, carefully chosen search words ("remote control presentation") seem to
yield even more results...

Does someone have an advice regarding this kind of item, either one on
my list or another one I've not found yet? I need it to work with Windows
(easy) and Linux (how hard can that be?).

    Thanks in advance,

--
 Philippe "BooK" Bruhat

 When you open a new door, the bad comes in with the good.