Gentlemen, a call to arms!

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Oct 11 23:27:22 BST 2006

On 11 Oct 2006, at 21:07, Matt S Trout wrote:
[...]
> I'm sure python, ruby et. al. can quite happily manage to make PHP
> look like dogshit.

My secret shame is that I actually quite like Django. Sorry, but
Catalyst just doesn't quite give as much return for my effort.

> In fact, probably so could a pile of dogshit ... no wait, they're
> allowing IIS ... I need more sleep.

Aargh, the horrible memories.

I spent a brief period having a baptism of fire removing somebody's
bollocks from the fire in IIS and ASP. Unsurprisingly, they didn't
thank me that they were still quite pink and unroasted. Enough beer
has finally flowed to make the memories of ASP go away.

(And if you must suffer Windows, Xitami seemed to play nicer with
Perl than IIS.)

I still think of PHP as the Linux flavour of ASP. PHP has at least
had the good taste to steal a few ideas from Perl (which is not
surprising when you consider its history as basically a dumbed-down
Perl) but not the good taste to steal the good bits.

Actually, one rather interesting feature of broken programming
languages and templating systems written by crack-fuelled monkeys is
that they tend to keep me in curry, beer and toys for as long as I
can suffer them.

On that basis, is there curry near the Croydon Beer Festival?