Gentlemen, a call to arms!

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Oct 13 20:53:35 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 19:52 +0100, Pete Sergeant wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 02:25:37PM -0400, jesse wrote:
> > Anybody gotten a nice toolkit for doing Comet-ish stuff up and going?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_%28programming%29
>
> In case anyone else was lost

Thank you, I know I was.

Is it just me or does this strike one as extending an existing protocol
beyond that which is, in any way, usable/scalable/appropriate.

Surely, since the concept of client based computing using commodity
generic clients is now well established, now would be a good time to
invent a protocol specifically for event driven apps? This rather than
stretching the existing, totally inadequate, avowedly "pull" protocol
(well) beyond its breaking point?

There is, after all, no good reason why HTTP and this new protocol could
not operate in parallel - probably to good effect.

"comet" is a kludge, please let's not perpetuate it.

Dirk