Databasen - Revisited

Toby Corkindale tjc at
Wed Oct 18 18:08:22 BST 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 05:55:11PM +0100, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> On 18 Oct 2006, at 17:16, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> >There are lots of fairly obvious right answers (localisation would
> >be one obvious one), but most people won't get the fact that the
> >primary key index is a bad thing, because the entire table fits
> >into a single page of pretty much every DB I know, so index access
> >is actually slower than a full table scan.
> What if you need the key?

Wouldn't it make sense to have the month name as the primary key? (Since you
want it to be unique anyway, don't you?)

Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world
(gpg --keyserver --recv-key B1CCF88E)