What a shame...

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Oct 23 16:29:03 BST 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 03:16:12PM +0100, Kaoru wrote:
[...]
> They've switched from Real to WMA, I don't know about OSX users but for
> Linux this doesn't really make a difference either way.

Well, choosing between Real and Microsoft was always a choice between the
frying pan and the fire. Real's codecs were always a [buffering] bag of
[buffering] shite that sounded like a LW radio sinking to the bottom of a
pond, assuming you could actually get it to work as opposed to be just a
CPU-hogging advert for Real's other weak offerings.

Microsoft's offerings do at least play content and don't make you suspect
your system has just been own3d by merely installing the player. (Gosh, I
never though I'd speak up for a Microsoft product.)

It's a lost opportunity for the BBC to whore about the fruits of their own
codec research though.