What shame? [Was: What a shame...]

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Mon Oct 23 16:43:17 BST 2006

On 23 Oct 2006, at 16:22, Luis Motta Campos wrote:
>   But this will open a market ninch here: former BBC website users
> that
> was kicked out for not using the right technologies will look for
> another digital content website, and I bet they will find something to
> replace BBC (!!). That's bad for BBC, and eventually they will need to
> rewrite everything to become (more) compatible with the Real World
> again.

The BBC is is (in general) an example of a respected government
granted monopoly. Unfortunately that means that if you're
sufficiently choosy some of their output is indispensable and unique
- there isn't - as far as I'm aware - a sensible non-BBC alternative
to Radio 4 for example.

Unfortunately the BBC's monopoly status means that market forces
can't just slug this one out as you describe.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net