SOAP::Lite UTF-8

Stephen Collyer scollyer at
Mon Oct 23 18:26:32 BST 2006

Nigel Rantor wrote:
> So,
> Found that sending multibyte characters using SOAP::Lite was failing.
> Basically, it was getting the content-length wrong because it was
> counting characters rather than bytes.
> Weirdly, there is code in SOAP::Lite to handle this, it seems to have
> not been working though.
> At some point I will probably get some time (ha!) to go and try and fix
> the root cause, right now though I'm using utf8::encode to strip the
> UTF-8 flag from data before it gets sent over the wire.
> Has anyone else hit this?

I have come across a problem where the SOAP::Lite serialization
logic generates:

Wide character in subroutine entry at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/SOAP/ line 250.

consistently where the returned DS contains UTF-8.

Is that what you're referring to ? In this case, stripping the
UTF-8 flag seems to make no difference.

Stephen Collyer
Netspinner Ltd