SOAP::Lite UTF-8

Nigel Rantor wiggly at wiggly.org
Mon Oct 23 18:45:36 BST 2006

Stephen Collyer wrote:

>> Has anyone else hit this?
>
> I have come across a problem where the SOAP::Lite serialization
> logic generates:
>
> Wide character in subroutine entry at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/SOAP/Lite.pm line 250.
>
> consistently where the returned DS contains UTF-8.
>
> Is that what you're referring to ? In this case, stripping the
> UTF-8 flag seems to make no difference.

Nope, I believe that is the PerlIO layer complaining because it didn't
think it was going to be outputting wide characters.

I thought that saying;

use open ':utf8';

should have solved that problem, but it didn't.

However saying;

use encoding ':utf8';

does.

I'm using SOAP::Lite 0.67 and have tried with 0.69 with the same
results. Like I say, it's weird, since there is code in there to handle
this case! It just doesn't seem to work for me...