SOAP::Lite UTF-8

Nigel Rantor wiggly at wiggly.org
Tue Oct 24 09:58:29 BST 2006

Stephen Collyer wrote:
> Nigel Rantor wrote:
>
>>> Is that what you're referring to ? In this case, stripping the
>>> UTF-8 flag seems to make no difference.
>>

>> Nope, I believe that is the PerlIO layer complaining because it didn't
>> think it was going to be outputting wide characters.
>
> Right. But it's not clear to me why it's not handled auto-magically.
>
>> I thought that saying;
>>
>> use open ':utf8';
>  >
>> should have solved that problem, but it didn't.
>
> As far as I understand it (which may not be far enough)
> that will only affect fds returned by "open" and similar
> calls, rather than "socket".

Yes, I had thought that might be it but I held out hope that it might be
automagically and if not that the use open pragma would affect all IO
operations.

>> However saying;
>>
>> use encoding ':utf8';
>>
>> does.
>
> If that fixes it for you, then I'm pretty surprised as AFAIK
> that merely relates to the script encoding. Maybe I'm behind
> the times. (It's less than useful for me - seems to cause another
> problem).

Yes, as was I, my understanding was the same as yours, that it allows
you to have scripts containing characters in that encoding, but it gets
rid of the wide character in output warning so. What problem does it
cause you?

If I get around to digging into the SOAP::Lite classes to fix the
problem there I'll let you know how I get on.

I suppose I should have mentioned this earlier, I'm using Perl 5.8.7, so
fairly recent.