Javaspaces and perl

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Nov 7 21:34:26 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 12:53 +0000, alex at owal.co.uk wrote:
> No, I haven't mistaken this list for London.class :-)
>
> I've been googling and search.cpan but to no avail.
>
> I am interested in using javaspaces (aka Jini) to distribute a loosely
> coupled system across loads of machines. The basic idea is that I have
> several machines put tasks into the space and have several machines read
> out those tasks, do them, and put the results back into the space - or
> maybe a database, or maybe generate more tasks.
>
> Anyway - some of those jobs involve some things which perl is inherently
> good at (processing unstructured text) and which java is poor at. I am
> trying to figure out a way of connecting up these two.
>
> I suppose I could just create java code which wrote its data to a file and
> ran a perl program with that file as an input parameter. Despite it being
> loosely coupled I am not sure I like that idea...

ah, you mean Linda as in: http://www.lindaspaces.com/products/linda.html

or google: linda parallel

for loads of references. There have been perl implementations but I
haven't used any of them - I think most of them have been quite limited.
I would quite like a decent one if anyone is moved to do something about
this.

Dirk