Syntax highlighting in Perl

Nik Clayton nik at ngo.org.uk
Mon Nov 13 10:14:52 GMT 2006

jesse wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 08:49:37PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
>> Paul Johnson wrote:
>>> I think it was the last step that actually fixed the problem.  I think I
>>> had updated SVN::Web and the css/templates/something were incompatible,
>>> but I hadn't realised that.  Could that be right?  Is this likely to be
>>> a perennial problem?
>> Did you follow the notes in UPDATING.pod?
>>
>>     http://search.cpan.org/~NIKC/SVN-Web-0.49/UPDATING.pod
>
> I did, only after I manually pulled down the distribution from CPAN and
> tried to dig through why it started to fail.   UPDATING.pod is...not the
> usual place to put things. Especially notes about "updating from CPAN
> will break all your live installs and you'll have to manually frob the
> config."  Usually, that's a mandatory-prompt question on install. But
> far better would be to bullet proof things to not hurt poor unsuspecting
> users.
>
> It'd be really wonderful if updating SVN::Web didn't break deployed
> installs in the future. It's...not a pleasant experience.

OK.  0.50, to be released shortly, has another round of disruptive
changes.  You can see the current UPDATING notes at:

http://jc.ngo.org.uk/svnweb/jc/view/nik/CPAN/SVN-Web/branches/svn-client/UPDATING.pod

If you'd just downloaded this from CPAN, what would you like to happen
when you install it?  Just print warnings at build time?  Something else?

One change I'm considering making is to require a version number key in
config.yaml, something like:

    version: 0.50

Then, if you try and use a newer version of SVN::Web with an older
config file it can easily detect this, and generate an error page
pointing you at the documentation for updating.  Obviously, that's a
run-time check rather than a build time check, but would that be sufficient?