Combination of skills - was [JOB] Perl & VB person, central London

Denny london.pm at metamathics.org
Mon Nov 20 13:38:29 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 12:43 +0000, Pete Sergeant wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 12:39:53PM +0000, Denny wrote:
> > > I guess I'd be quite surprised to find out anyone I'd consider a
> > > serious programmer hadn't been curious enough to poke around inside
> > > it with VB a little bit.
> >
> > What's the motivation?
>
> Curiousity?  Wanting to know what it can do, what it's capable of, and if
> there's potential to build something interesting from it?

There are many computing tasks which engage my interest.  Automating
word processors or spreadsheets isn't one of them - particularly on an
OS that I don't use at home or work.  I wouldn't like to say that anyone
who doesn't share my specific interests and/or experience isn't a
'serious programmer' though.

> I guess things like that are over-rated in potential programmers these
> days, and people are just interested in programming as a career :-(

I note you didn't include the next sentence of my email, where I
specifically asked if one could do something "fun and interesting" with
Office...  as opposed to something "that would earn money".

Regarding which, I think Dean's answer wins so far  :)

Regards,
Denny