Combination of skills - was [JOB] Perl & VB person, central London

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Tue Nov 21 15:04:37 GMT 2006

On 11/20/06, Roger Burton West <roger at firedrake.org> wrote:

> Well, I could learn how to use this blunt rusty screwdriver that's been
> buried in a manure pile for twenty years, but I think instead I'll play
> with the shiny new full toolkit I got free and see what I can do with
> _that_. Sorry Pete.

It's perhaps a shame this prejudice has kept you from learning about
one of the most powerful apps every written, Excel. It really is an
impressive bit of software, and I've used it to get stuff done faster
than I could possibly have done it in perl. Excel and perl work well
together too, pre- and post-processing and visualising for one
another. It's like a mathematical make on steroids and PCP. Also,
there's quite a neat Excel pop quiz floating about :-) [google for
minipops and good luck]

Just because Microsoft wrote it doesn't mean it sucks.

Also, VB.NET is a whole different deal to old (nasty) VB.