[OT] DVDR failings

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Tue Nov 28 18:17:53 GMT 2006

bit off-topic, but wondered if the collective wisdom covers this:
I have two IDE DVD writers, different brands I think, but otherwise very
similar, and typical examples of the genre, both under a year old.

They both exhibit the same problem - they read discs fine, but writing to CDRs,
DVD+/-Rs, DVDR-AM, CDRW, and DVD+RW all fail after a short-but-random duration.
(So I can write a 64Mb disc in several attempts, a 4Mb disc almost always, and
can never write a 100+ Mb disc)

I'll attempt to hunt down the receipts and return them under warranty, but
since it's happened to two at around the same time, I wondered if there are any
common causes of this?

I update both drives to their respective latest firmware, but this didn't help
at all.

One was a Pioneer DVR-111D, and I'm not sure, but I think the other was a LG..
can plug it in tonight again to check.

My gut feeling says they're just cheap and broke of their own accord, but you
never know.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world
(gpg --keyserver www.co.uk.pgp.net --recv-key B1CCF88E)