Conference etiquette and wifi

Tim Sweetman ti at lemonia.org
Sun Dec 10 15:29:07 GMT 2006

Dear Miss Manners,

An acquaintance, with the somewhat unpronouncable name of
http://london.pm.org/lpw/faq.html, tells me that it's "rude to type
during talks". Now, I realise that using a laptop during talks without
its sound muted would be rude and disruptive. Also, as a rule, use of
laptops in meetings isn't acceptable, even to take minutes, but I think
Mr http://london.pm.org/lpw/faq.html is being unreasonable. What do you
think?

(On a related note, I recently had the pleasure of being on one of
MySQL's courses. The last time I was on one of the Shrub of Ineffable
Wisdom[1]'s courses, they had one PC between two, and no Internet
connectivity. MySQL's course had one PC per student, and internet
connectivity (well, almost). Being able to look things up on wikipedia &
google was very, very useful. It also gave me something relevant &
productive to do while the instructor was diving into detail either of
something I already knew, or pursing someone else's digression, both of
which are reasonable for him, but not great for me, though there is
obviously the risk of being distracted at some crucial point).

"Sorry, Elliot, I tuned out there for a moment" -- James Bond, /Tomorrow
Never Dies/

[1] more properly referred to as Learning Tree.

ti'