Conference etiquette and wifi

Neil de Carteret n3dst4 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 16:38:48 GMT 2006

If you're typing, you're not listening.  If you're looking at a laptop
screen, you're not looking at the speaker or the slides.

If you've ever done any teaching, training, or lecturing, you'll be
used to talking to  a sea of impassive, doughy faces, but for an event
like LPW we ought to at least give the speaker the impression we're
paying attention  (admittedly, I achieved this by slumping slightly to
one side and shutting my eyes.)

I did have a certain amount of fun watching other people's screens.
Someone was reading the lecture notes from a previous talk at one
point, which seemed a little perverse.  Someone else was playing some
kind of vertically-scrolling shooter.

Mostly iMacs, going by the white chassis. One had Windows XP with the
default BLOO theme, although it may have been one of those XP-alike
windowmanager themes.  Someone (may have been Leon?) appeared to be
running Ubuntu on an iMac - brown titlebars were all I could see.