Conference etiquette and wifi

Dean Wilson dwilson at unixdaemon.net
Sun Dec 10 16:51:40 GMT 2006

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 03:29:07PM +0000, Tim Sweetman wrote:

> "rude to type during talks".
> What do you think?

IMHO if you sit in the back row, have the machine set to silent and
don't have a keyboard that makes clicky noises then it MIGHT be
acceptable. But I still wouldn't do it. And remember, bash competition
can be made to NOT BEEP EVERY TIME YOU PRESS TAB.

If I'm hosting and you're in the first couple of rows tapping away and
beeping happily I'll ask you to leave. Obviously, what you're doing is
too important for politeness to be an issue so you should go elsewhere
and do it. I'll understand. Yes, I am arsey about this. If someone's given
up their time to come and speak then you should do them the courtesy of
listening. Or wait outside.

Although feel free to type your SSH password a couple of times during a
talk. Nothing like showing half the row behind you a hostname, username
and letting them shouldersurf a password.

  Dean
--
Dean Wilson             http://www.unixdaemon.net
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand