[JOB] Perl developer (front-end web devel) (London) from 34k

Sue Spence virtualsue at pennine.com
Sat Dec 23 14:06:41 GMT 2006

Jonathan Stowe wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 12:10 +0000, Toby Corkindale wrote:
>> You'll need to be familiar with Template Toolkit and Catalyst, and have at least a basic
>> understanding of DBIx::Class.
>>

> I'm curious about this as I have been seeing it quite a lot recently,
> and mostly I might add with similar perl-for-the-web sort of stuff. I
> can understanding looking for a familiarity with a particular
> application domain or an important underpinning technology, but I'm not
> getting the requirement for particular libraries, beyond perhaps knowing
> what they are for but that would be something I would find out in an
> interview.  I'm pretty certain I'm not seeing, say, adverts for Java

I'm pretty sure I have seen job ads for Java programmers which were
similarly very specific.  Job specs often contain ridiculously detailed
lists of skills, for whatever reason. When I interviewed for the
position I am in now, nearly every one of the interviewers asked me if I
knew why proficiency in Java BeanShell was in the list! I did know, but
it didn't belong there because we never have used it and probably never
will.

The best interview I ever had lasted about 10 minutes. "You've done C
and unix system programming? Cool. This is what we want somebody to do:
..... -- can you do it?  Cool. See you Monday."