Online music recognition

IvorW combobulus at xemaps.com
Wed Jan 3 11:42:33 GMT 2007

I've recently encountered, and been impressed by Shazam. You play part of a tune to it by dialling a special number on a mobile phone, and let it listen for about 20 seconds. Within a few seconds of dialling off, it texts you the name of the track and artist. Seems to handle obscure stuff (Jazz) and cover versions.

What I'd be really interested in is the same technology, but on a website, not a mobile phone. The idea is you CGI upload a small .wav file to it, and it emails you the track details. I have an application for it.

Does this service exist?

Ivor.