PHP sucks dick through a straw

Jeff Anderson captvanhalen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 21:42:21 GMT 2007

On 1/11/07, Andy Armstrong <andy at hexten.net> wrote:

> Somebody remind me why do so many people use a language that can't even
> get this completely basic stuff right.

Because it is a path of least resistance. An old friend of my quipped "the
path of least resistance leads you to the least every time."

It also seems to be that most of the hardcore advanced PHP heads still don't
get why wrappers are better than separate individual hand rolled header and
footer includes, because i still think that PHP cannot handle such. (TT uses
WRAPPER -- Mason has autohandlers -- Krang has categories).

What kills me about PHP (i was coding up some recently) is that an objects
attributes and methods have to be called in different ways:

$object->attribute;
$object->method();

So if i call some method $object->has_foo() and forget to add the parens
(thinking that it is an attribute) then PHP will not throw any kind of
error, and instead just return undef since $object->has_foo was never set.

--
jeffa