[fairly off-topic] domain hosting question.

Leo Lapworth leo at cuckoo.org
Fri Jan 19 19:32:23 GMT 2007

Hi Richard,

On 19/01/07, Richard Foley <Richard.Foley at rfi.net> wrote:

> I'm looking for the domain to be hosted, DNS service, a reasonable amount
> of space, an apache server and email forwarding (of course), on a unix-like
> box with reliable
> uptime and quick recovery otherwise.  And ssh access of course.

I've recently started using the following:

1) Move your domain registration to Gandi (for .com / net etc) then they
will run primary and secondary DNS as part of your domain subscription (12
euros a year I think), and allow you to control it compeltly.

2) Sign up with Google Apps - http://www.google.com/a/

3) Set up google apps to forward <name>@<your-domain>.com to where ever you
want your email to end up set this up as a LIST, not as a 'user' with
forwarding, as otherwise spam is filtered here and not on the redirected to
account.

4) Change MX records on Gandi to point to google (all in googles help pages)
mail servers

This doesn't help with the web hosting (although google has 'google pages'
which is fantastic for $family hosting - letting them change the pages
without bugging you all the time or asking HTML / CSS questions).

But you can get web of another company and not have all your eggs in one
basket.

Hmm, I guess I really should blog about this set up somewhere :)

Hope that helps.

Leo