Sybase alex at
Fri Feb 2 12:04:43 GMT 2007

 On 2/2/07, Pete Sergeant <pete at> wrote:
>> I keep seeing banking jobs that require 'Sybase'.
>> I'd assume they mean "Using Perl with Sybase's Adaptive Server
>> Enterprise". Is that right?
>> If so, anyone have any recommendations for training companies who might
>> be able to give me such a skill...

Dave H replied
> They're generally after "real experience with" Sybase, either in a dev or
> production environment.

Hey - we could discuss this on :-)

Sadly I think Dave is right on this. Having used Sybase for nearly two
years sitting under Murex I can say that the skills they are looking for
are best obtained by actually using it.

You can however get Sybase for development nowadays and that might be
worthwhile. You could use it to learn:

sybase stored procedures
sybase command like tools like isql (or sqsh)
examining execution plans
and of course sybase perl DBI

(Yes - Sybase's main database is called "Adaptive Server Enterprise". And
one of the best books around is from )