@+ magic variable

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Feb 15 16:10:17 GMT 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 04:18:59PM +0100, Luis Motta Campos wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Gareth Kirwan wrote:
> >Interesting server names you have there...
> >We did have Bill and Ben, and a Dogbert at one stage.
> >However now we just have boring functional names.
>   Are functional names are those that matches with patterns like this?
>   m{$company_acronym$serialnum}o

Cutesy names don't scale.  And when a machine fails, knowing that it's
"gunpowder" (the naming "convention" being types of tea) that's failed
is a lot less helpful than knowing that it's the machine labelled "mx3"
in rack 2, room 37, building X.

Yes, you could have another database that maps names to positions, but
that's a pain in the arse for the users, and anyway, it's bound to go out
of date.

Please stop rolling your Jargon Dice and explain the problem
you are having to me in plain English, using small words.
  -- John Hardin, in the Monastery