Random question about DNS

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Thu Feb 15 16:13:49 GMT 2007

* Peter Corlett (abuse at cabal.org.uk) [070215 15:30]:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 02:32:20PM +0000, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> [...]
> > All of the domains currently have ns1.hexten.net and ns2.hexten.net as
> > their nameservers. I can change the DNS for ns1 and ns2 to point at my new
> > box but it's my understanding that that won't have the desired effect
> > because the glue records for those nameservers contain hard wired IP
> > addresses.
> You need glue records *only* if the nameservers are within the domain
> they're serving for. (djb calls this "in balliwick".)
> I have a fair number of domains that use nameservers ns[01].cabal.org.uk.
> When I change the IP address of the nameserver, I only need to update the
> glue record in cabal.org.uk and all the other domains (e.g. 1k.org.uk) pick
> up the change. I arranged it this way on purpose so I could easily change
> the IP address of the nameservers on all my domains just by updating the
> glue records on two.

The problem with your solution is

 1) Andy's users maintain their own zones, so probably did add the
    proper A records for the name-servers (as the RFC advices)

 2) It depends on the sysadmin one level higher (maybe the TLD) whether a
    zone without NS records is an acceptable configuration.  Probably,
    Andy's users have domains in many different set-ups (.net, .org,
    .co.uk, .nl) which may have influenced the structure of the zone-file.

Andy, you could continue to run hidden slaves at the old-ip address for
some time.  Net::DNS is very simple to query the zones of all your
customers... and send them mail regularly until they have changed
their zone.

drs Mark A.C.J. Overmeer                                MARKOV Solutions
       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net