Random question about DNS

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Thu Feb 15 16:35:05 GMT 2007

On 15 Feb 2007, at 16:13, Mark Overmeer wrote:
> The problem with your solution is
>
>  1) Andy's users maintain their own zones, so probably did add the
>     proper A records for the name-servers (as the RFC advices)

Ah - no they don't - sorry if I gave you that impression. All the
domains nominate ns1.hexten.net and ns2.hexten.net as their NS.

>  2) It depends on the sysadmin one level higher (maybe the TLD)
> whether a
>     zone without NS records is an acceptable configuration.  Probably,
>     Andy's users have domains in many different set-ups (.net, .org,
>     .co.uk, .nl) which may have influenced the structure of the
> zone-file.

Mainly just *.uk and .com/.net/.org.

> Andy, you could continue to run hidden slaves at the old-ip address
> for
> some time.  Net::DNS is very simple to query the zones of all your
> customers... and send them mail regularly until they have changed
> their zone.

I'll lose the old IP addresses once I switch servers. Well I could
keep them but it'd cost me extra and given that the server costs me
money overall anyway and is mainly used to host good causes who don't
pay me I'd like to keep the expense to a minimum :)

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net