[OT] Mac Wireless Problems

Simon Burr simes at bpfh.net
Tue Feb 27 09:09:21 GMT 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 10:45:04PM +0000, Steve Mynott wrote:
>Also having neighbours' signals clashing with with channels now seems
>far more of a problem than in the past.

Whilst there are 13 channels which can be used in the EU, they are relatively
close together and adjacent channels will overlap. It is possible to get
overlap even when you follow the 1, 6, 11 convention - one study I've read
has shown that you can get channel 1 bleeding into 11 when you get WLAN kit
which doesn't play nicely with others or you have it sited close together.

It also seems that its becoming harder to get non-wireless gear at high street
shops - a recent trip to a former Dixons (now called "Currys Online" or
similar) showed that they had plenty of 802.11g/ADSL routers, but no switches
or hubs. At least they had some Cat5e cables, admittedly hideously over priced
Belkin cables, but they did have them.

You have to wonder how many people are getting 802.11/ADSL kit, enabling
the WLAN and then end up never using it.

You can also have fun with other equipment in the 2.4GHz band, along with
fun things like badly shielded microwave ovens.

--
   Simon the stressed        http://www.bpfh.net/           simes at bpfh.net
                 Chocolate is *not* a substitute for sleep