Devel::Cover recommendations... or maybe not?

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Thu Mar 15 11:43:36 GMT 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 10:35:44AM +0100, Luis Motta Campos wrote:
> On Mar 14, 2007, at 7:29 PM, Adrian Howard wrote:

> >I've seen to many people go off in a misguided attempt to make test
> >coverage 100% everywhere. Sometimes there are more important things
> >to be doing :-)
>
>   I'll relay on managers to decide which is and which is not
> important to do at any given moment on time.
>   I'm hacking code, they should have a broader view of the system
> and of the business status.

I'd prefer to have sufficient information to be able to make the week-to-week
judgement on what is most important. Note, I didn't say that that I *should*
be making it, merely that I shouldn't be so far in the dark that if my
manager is ill for a week, I have no good idea what I should be doing.

Otherwise, de facto, I'm being micromanaged. And that is stupid.
I've experienced the mushroom anti-pattern, and it's demoralising as hell.

I think it all depends on whether one's "manager" is capable of doing my job
or is someone who doesn't now (or never did) have the technical ability.

Nicholas Clark