[OT]: Syslog issues?

Luis Motta Campos luismottacampos at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 13:41:59 GMT 2007

On Mar 21, 2007, at 1:56 PM, the hatter wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Luis Motta Campos wrote:
>>    The problem is making sure we have enough hardware to not loose
>> messages and enough bandwidth to guarantee that every message gets
>> properly delivered to the logging server without problems.
>
> Would it be possible to connect the servers to a db to collect logs
> rather
> than a single syslog server ?  You might even be able to get some
> apps to
> write directly rather than syslog, and save yourself some parsing
> later (I
> assume it's not apache's access/error logs that you'd considering
> using
> syslog for, though obviously you can do that for web stats).

   The systems here use apache log files to log out part of the
activity and error information needed for debugging.

   Please, don't ask me why, I'm just trying to fix it, a bit at a
time, so nobody notices... ;-)

   But I'm also interested on the apache error messages, specially
the ones that report attacks against our servers. This is not
something I just want to be part of my statistics. I have other
systems that would benefit from this information (like my reactive IDS).

   Thanks for your interest.
--
Luis Motta Campos (a.k.a. Monsieur Champs) is a software engineer,
Perl fanatic evangelist, and amateur {cook, photographer}