Anyone know about eyes?

Tom Barrett tcbarrett at
Wed Apr 25 11:15:03 BST 2007

On 25/04/07, Jacqui caren <jacqui.caren at> wrote:
> Chris Jack wrote:
> >  But seriously, go see your doctor or somewhere like
> > Moorfields Eye Hospital or Vision Express.
> Of two cases (one of which was my hubs) each time the doctors
> failed to disagnose the problem and the problem (one diabetes
> and the other fluid on the brain) were detected by an eye
> exam at a local no-name high street opticians.
> IMHO Effing Mr's/docs are more worried about keeping to budget than
> actually helping people.


If I have ever had any serious eye problems, my doctor has always advised me
to visit the local street opticians. Stating that they are better equipped
and trained - specialising in eye care. If the optician recommends treatment
for you then they will write a note for your GP advising them what to
prescribe for you.

I have no problem with this. I always visit my optician first with any eye
problems. My current opticians also take pictures of the back my eye in
order to track any changes - as these are significant.

I have also moved around the UK a few times, experiencing the 'postcode
lottery' in a mild fashion. I'm not sure that they are 'worried about
keeping to budget', I think they are constrained by 'having to keep to
budget'. But that is still a seperate issue.

General Practitioners are not specialists?

So, in summary, if you are having eye problems, visit an optician. :)

More information about the mailing list