Perl Books

Spiros Denaxas spiros at lokku.com
Mon Apr 30 11:40:23 BST 2007

On 4/30/07, Nic Gibson <nicg at noslogan.org> wrote:
> Gentlemen
>
> I seem to have managed to start teaching perl for Learning Tree.
> Now, I'm looking at the stack of books I'm taking into the Intro to
> Perl course and wondering if I should take any others. This is a
> course that is ostensibly for people who know how to program but
> don't know perl. Now, the last course I taught actually had 7 people
> with extensive sysadmin experience but no programming background.
>
> So, I'm wondering what other folks might consider essential perl
> books. I've got this lot in the pile right now:
>
>         Programming Perl
>         Perl Cookbook
>         Mastering Regular Expressions
>         Perl Best Practices
>
> and I throw in a mod_perl book as well.
>
> The course covers up to (but not really including) object orientation
> so I haven't bothered with anything really OO based. It also doesn't
> cover DBI although I gave a DBI example last time because a student
> asked.
>
> Does anyone have any other book suggestions?
>

> cheers
>

> nic

Morning,

I really enjoyed reading Perl Testing: A Developer's Notebook [1]
regarding Perl QA by Ian and chromatic. its very concise and straight
to the point. I would consider it a good move to show people the
basics of testing and quality assurance, even at a very basic level.

Spiros

[1] http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perltestingadn/