[OT] perl and CLRs

Peter Hickman peter.hickman at semantico.com
Wed May 2 09:20:26 BST 2007

Dirk Koopman wrote:
> Sometime ago I asked the question as to whether it was worth looking
> at producing a CLR such as monos (or even [spit] .NET).
>
> http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/05/01/microsoft_open_source_dot_net/
>
> It seems to me that although the people that replied said "it couldn't
> be done", all the other major scripting languages have (or nearly
> have) managed it. I can't believe that producing a mono/.NET backend
> for perl is impossible - it might be limited, it may well break
> modules in CPAN.

Well here's a problem then, imagine getting people to use Perl without
CPAN. I have a choice of programming languages to use but I use Perl
mostly because there is a good chance that somewhere on CPAN is a module
that will get me 99.9999% of the way there. Without it I might as well
be writing everything in tcl. Perl runs everywhere that .NET run and
more besides how would limiting the platforms that Perl can be run on an
cutting the number of modules available be justified?

> But it *is* the way the world is going and it does leverage work done
> elsewhere.
If you are just interested in following the herd then become a J2EE
developer, oops that is another direction that the world seems to be
going in. Lets enumerate:

* cperl (as is)
* Parrot
* .NET
* JVM

There are much more compelling reasons to get Perl on the JVM than on .NET

> Do we *really* want to continue to hold our noses in the air?
You are mistaking indifference with contempt. I couldn't give a toss
about .NET and I have no interest in what David Beckham is up to this
week either.

--
Peter Hickman.

Semantico, Lees House, 21-23 Dyke Road, Brighton BN1 3FE
t: 01273 722222
f: 01273 723232
e: peter.hickman at semantico.com
w: www.semantico.com