[OT] perl and CLRs (.NET rocks)

Ovid publiustemp-londonpm at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 14:33:34 BST 2007

--- Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk> wrote:

> However, anybody that does "scripting" in either of these two
> languages
> is missing the point (as well as being a potential RSI victim). This
> is
> why I am, very gently, agitating for my favourite scripting language
> have standard backend, preferably .NET/Mono but I could live with
> JVM.

Jonathan Worthington, the gentleman who got .NET running on Parrot and
thus should be in a position to know, argues that .NET and JVM are
generally bad targets for Perl as they are not optimized for dynamic
languages (meaning, in this case, where the data are typed rather than
the variables) and would need a fair bit of support built into them to
make Perl run as smoothly as it could.  How IronPython and Ruby.NET
have managed to bridge this gap, I couldn't say, but I'd trust
Jonathan's judgment as much as anyone's.

Cheers,
Ovid

--

Buy the book -- http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlhks/