[OT] perl and CLRs (.NET rocks)

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed May 2 15:15:23 BST 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 05:37:47AM -0700, Ovid wrote:

> F# (http://research.microsoft.com/fsharp/fsharp.aspx) is similar to ML,
> but built for .NET and therefore can take advantage of the libraries.

And that is where perl would benefit.  We'd be able to use libraries
written in other languages more easily (face it, anything would be
easier than having to write an XS/C shim to talk to your FORTRAN
library or the vendor-supplied VB DLL for your hardware) and users of
other languages would be able to easily use all the great perl
libraries.  Easy availability of those perl libraries might even make
some of them pay attention to perl itself.

But I don't really care how perl would benefit.  I care what *I* would
benefit from.  I would benefit from perl running on .net.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

Today's previously unreported paraphilia is tomorrow's Internet sensation