[ANNOUNCE] May Social Meeting on 3rd of May - The Cittie of Yorke, Holborn

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu May 3 07:57:26 BST 2007

the hatter writes:

> On Tue, 1 May 2007, Bob Walker wrote:
>
> > Admittedly im taking my beard elsewhere since sam's smiths beer isnt
> > terribly nice.
>
> Ah, that's a good excuse - as sam smith's not-beer options are worse
> than their beer options

As a non-beer drinker I like Sam Smith's not-beer options.

Their cola is different from both Coca-Cola and Pepsi, in the way that
those two differ from each other.  Personally I quite like it, and find
that I can stick with drinking it all evening (which I can't with
Pepsi), though it isn't as nice as Fentiman's Curiosity Cola[*0]

I don't like Sam Smith's blackcurrant cordial as much as Britvic's
(served in Pepsi tied pubs), but it's far superior to Schweppes's
attempt at blackcurrant (which is found in Coca-Cola establishments).

Sam Smith's also have a range of fruit-juice-based drinks in small
bottles; I've tried the cranberry and apple one, which was nice enough.

And in this heavily-branded age, I quite admire the gumption of a pub
prepared to proclaim that if it's advertised on televsion then they
won't serve it.

  [*0]  Which I'm yet to see in a pub in London.  Does anywhere this far
  south do it?

Smylers