[OT] perl and CLRs (.NET rocks)

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Thu May 3 10:48:00 BST 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 07:25:14PM +0100, Nicholas Clark said:
> I also don't think that it's the "only perl can parse Perl" meme.
> I suspect that it's because
> 1: any variable can be tied
> 2: any value can be overloaded
> and hence there is a lot of logic to deal with this everywhere.

As a gedanken experiment ...

Various ports of Python (Stackless and Iron IIRC) have gone for a 80%

So, what features of Perl would have to go to make a putative port

Or, thinking the other way round, what features from Perl would be
necessary to have a minimally compatible (where minimally is a number
defined over --> there. Somewhere.) Perl-like-language?