[OT] perl and CLRs (.NET rocks)

Iain Tatch iain.tatch+londonpm at gmail.com
Thu May 3 13:20:17 BST 2007

On 03/05/07, Simon Wistow <simon at thegestalt.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 07:25:14PM +0100, Nicholas Clark said:
> > I also don't think that it's the "only perl can parse Perl" meme.
> >
> > I suspect that it's because
> >
> > 1: any variable can be tied
> > 2: any value can be overloaded
> >
> > and hence there is a lot of logic to deal with this everywhere.
>
> As a gedanken experiment ...
>
> Various ports of Python (Stackless and Iron IIRC) have gone for a 80%
> approach.

There's also Boo (http://boo.codehaus.org) which is "inspired by
Python syntax" rather than a pure Python port to .NET/Mono.  I'm
rather enamoured with it at the moment, not least because the
wonderful open-source Windows IDE "SharpDevelop" supports it out of
the box.  And like all the best programming languages, it has a cute
name.

Iain