Perl Books (for ladies)

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Thu May 3 12:53:02 BST 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 12:39:55PM +0100, Simon Wistow wrote:
> We used to have them every few months. They trickled off though. There
> was a plan to do more but Dean Wilson got busy (for it is he who
> organises them at the moment) and I ended up spending far too much time
> in the US to organise them.
>
> And nobody else has really stepped up.
>
> *hint*

I don't think that there is an issue with venues for these.
More than one company, keen to recruit Perl people, has offered space.

The bigger cat herding problem appears to be getting speakers.
(Getting them to say yes, getting them to actually not say no just before
hand, getting them all in a row on the night)

Something I think would work well is if said companies offering venues
also offered to get one or two of their employees to talk about some aspect
of Perl at their employers.

Morgan Stanley and Yahoo! certainly did this at tech meets they hosted, and
it was interesting.

I can't remember if I've stated this publicly before, but I will here.
I see the "*hint*", which I know Simon wasn't aiming at anyone in particular,
but I have no great interest in organising tech meets personally (and also
don't always attend them when others have organised them) so I'm not the right
person to volunteer to JFDI.

Nicholas Clark