Bonkers

Richard Foley Richard.Foley at rfi.net
Fri May 4 14:39:30 BST 2007

On Friday 04 May 2007 14:39, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> I know of people
> who aren't so dissatisfied that they will take any pile of excrement
> (with or without fries), but potentially could be lured into a new job.
> Yet they aren't bothering to make contact with the companies recruiting.

Yep, that's a bit wierd.  Maybe people just need a better offer.  I also know
several people who have gone from Perl to ****, essentially for a better
rate, sadly.

> And I *am* surprised that no-one from these companies appears to be
> confident enough to de-anonymise there recruiting efforts. This is my point.
> (Or at least, my question. "Why is it this way?")

Ah, if I read you correctly, you're asking why agents don't release the name
of their clients?  It's probably partly because the 12 companies may actually
be 4, with 3 different agencies looking to fill all 4 spots.  Although from
the way you described it, that sounds unlikely.  It may also be natural
paranoia on behalf of the agencies, to  protect what little leverage they
actually have in terms of being the only possible middle-man through whom the
actual client can source good people.  Otherwise, bang goes their commission.
I also suspect the companies can't be bothered to handle contacts with
individuals either, and would much rather deal with a single entity, (the
agent) when recruiting.

Speaking for myself, I have managed to find good roles directly, but the vast
majority have come through an agency, and I don't mind paying the premium, if
they do all the job hunting, networking and contact building, on my behalf.
I guess I'm just lazy, but it's less hassle, they do it better than I do
anyway, and it leaves me free to go for a good long walk in the hills, for
example, which is a far better use of my time.

But you're right, it's all a bit bonkers.  It reminds me of the Australian
Prime Minister saying that the solution for Global Warming, (and the
consequent likely destruction of the current pattern of economic and human
life on that continent), is: "we can only hope and pray".

	http://www.truthout.org/issues_06/042007EA.shtml

Sorry, Nick, got a bit off-topic there...

	;-)

--
Richard Foley
Ciao - shorter than aufwiedersehen