Bonkers

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Fri May 4 13:39:53 BST 2007

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 02:29:45PM +0200, Richard Foley wrote:
> On Friday 04 May 2007 13:55, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> > Yes, I'm mailing this to the main list, quite deliberately.
> >
> > Something is bonkers here:
> >
> > 1: There are (at least) 12 companies in and around London trying to recruit
> >    developers with strong Perl skills
> >
> That's good, because Perl (programmer skill set) is in demand.  I guess if
> these desperate companies paid more, that might help, or is that too cynical.
> I mean I'm always told there's no demand for Perl these days, and yet here's
> a clear demand.  Maybe it's a bubble.

It may well be a bubble. I think that that's partly why people are wary of
moving. Quite a few have got burned before.

> > 2: I know of 5 people who are sufficiently dissatisfied with their current
> job
> >
> It's easy to moan - people really vote with their feet.

Whilst that is true, it doesn't eliminate what I am saying - I know of people
who aren't so dissatisfied that they will take any pile of excrement
(with or without fries), but potentially could be lured into a new job.
Yet they aren't bothering to make contact with the companies recruiting.

And I *am* surprised that no-one from these companies appears to be confident
enough to de-anonymise there recruiting efforts. This is my point.
(Or at least, my question. "Why is it this way?")

Nicholas Clark