Dirk Koopman djk at
Fri May 4 14:54:13 BST 2007

Nicholas Clark wrote:
> Er, I don't feel that that actually answers the question in the text of mine
> that you quoted. It explains why no-one is filling these vacancies, but:
> Why aren't the people on this list who work for firms making any effort
> to mention that they have vacancies? After all, there is a
> jobs list for that very purpose...

Because they probably know what sort of a result they are going to get.

There is the occasional job posted on here by .pm-ers, but I will grant
you they are rare. I have done it myself in the past (with no noticeable
takers BTW), but that may simply be because they realised with whom they
would be working :-)

>> However, the flip side of this is that they will move away from perl
>> (too expensive, no workers) and go and find some other language which is
>> more popular which has lots of cheap, young and enthusiastic workers.
> If the employers can get the job done in this way for the same or less cost,
> then they are not making a mistake by making this transition.

Not saying they are. Just listing the consequences, seeing as an example
was mentioned on this list, rather erm.. pointedly, just a few days ago.