Bonkers

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Fri May 4 23:42:39 BST 2007

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 06:37:56AM -0700, Ovid wrote:

> Is there flex-time?  Travel requirements?  Extra holiday?  Free
> lunches?  Good location?  And so on.  Of course, my number one concern
> is the development environment.  If they don't have tests, won't let me
> see their code, have a waterfall style development system, require lots
> of overtime, etc., I not only demand more money, but I expect to have
> the freedom to fix systemic problems, not just bugs.

It was the inability to fix systemic problems that certainly contributed
to me leaving my most recent employer. After five months of me and my
boss making zero progress (yes, with the exception of the approval to hire
one "producer" to work in LA for us, literally ZERO progress) I had more
than had enough.

Sure, you can't change everything. And you can't change anything overnight.
And change carries risk. But if you can see how to change things for the
better, and you are continually blocked, it is more than frustrating.

> Companies simply need to realize that if they want to attract
> developers and their current tactics aren't doing this, they need to
> change their tactics.  I would say 'duh', but why state the obvious?

Agree.

Still, only a couple of people have answered my original "bonkers" question,
which is why no-one seems keen to recommend anywhere that is recruiting.

Oh. At the point where said firm up there was recruiting and I was not happy,
I know I was not encouraging anyone to apply, principally, and truthfully,
because I "did not know anyone who would enjoy working here".
It's not the first time that I've been in this sort of situation.

Nicholas Clark