Perl books (for ladies)

Paul Mison paulm at husk.org
Sat May 5 14:38:32 BST 2007

On 05/05/2007 at 04:54 +0100, Steve Mynott wrote:
>On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 11:13:57PM +0100, Paul Mison typed:
>>  North Londoners might know that the old Mecca bingo hall on Essex
>>  Road has just closed. Apparently a smoking ban makes it uneconomic.
>
>I assume only chain smoking Dot Cotton types go to bingo.

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/content/islington/gazette/news/story.aspx?brand=ISLGOnline&category=news&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newsislg&itemid=WeED25%20Apr%202007%2011%3A01%3A02%3A683

"its bosses Rank feared July's smoking ban in public places would
cause a drop in takings" Seems more like guesswork than anything. And
why close it so far in advance of the ban? Oh well.

Unfortunately that article also points out that bids were due in by
the end of April. Oops.

>It's a fine Art Deco building.
>
><http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1157_art_deco/about/buildings/mecca.htm>
>
>Probably listed or something.

Grade II*, apparently (which the Government apparently wants to do
away with, demoting it to Grade II).

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/15111/

This Flickr photo's comment thread has a link to the PDF with details
of the sale. £120,000 a year rent, but you'd get £20,000 from the
sublet of Orange and Hutchinson's masts.

--
:: paul
:: blue coconut slush