Bonkers

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Sun May 6 08:37:24 BST 2007

On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 01:09:24AM +0200, Merijn Broeren wrote:
> Quoting Nicholas Clark (nick at ccl4.org):
> > Yes, I'm mailing this to the main list, quite deliberately.
> >

> > Something is bonkers here:
> >
> > 1: There are (at least) 12 companies in and around London trying to recruit
> >    developers with strong Perl skills
> >
> How do you know this? And is that not enough information dissemination?

I think 10 were mentioned on a discussion on the unarchived jobs discuss list:

plus Photobox, hiding behind agencies, and the other is a tiny start up.

[Actually, about 50% of the rest are hiding behind agencies, but people have
also mentioned them directly]

> >   "Yes, I know no job is perfect, and this one does have its warts. But on
> >    average it's fun, and you should at least interview here"
> >
> Well, they said it to you at least, or how else would you know?

No, I meant *no-one* has said that.

Thinking back, I think that 3 people have said that they work at one, and it
is fun, but that's less than I would expect.

> So, what do you want them to do more? These companies obviously target
> carefully who they ask, namely you, and at the chance of breaking your
> heart, maybe a few more choice programmers. Maybe they choose not to mail
> out to the mailing list publicly. Or wait for a referral from you. Or
> wait until you finally give in and start wearing a suit and turn up at
> 7:30 to be yelled at irregular intervals and made to wear a beeper under
> the shower.

Sorry, I was unclear. Mostly they are not targeting me. Or anyone on in
London.pm. They're not using word of mouth at all. They are assuming that
agents can find people, and convince people to move.

Which I don't think is working. [Feedback both from one of the employers
trying to recruit, and personally. I was approached about a job in Cambridge
by an agent. It didn't sound fun. Someone I know took the plunge. It does
turn out to be fun, for various reasons.*]

Hence why I'm asking, why is there so little word of mouth going on here?

Nicholas Clark

* Now, logically, it should seem that I should have taken the plunge.
  But if, like many, I'm already cagey about the risks in moving job, why
  should I compound that by also moving city, and to one where about 1.5
  firms have advertised positions requiring Perl, in the entirety of history.