Bonkers

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Mon May 7 09:44:07 BST 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 06:12:48AM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 11:48:04PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> No thanks.  Been bitten by that before.  I'll turn down free hosting as

What's the catch? "Oh, you have broadband. You can fix this from home?"
and you're now considered to be on call?

> well.  Now if you want to throw me an extra few quid a month that I can
> spend myself on my home broadband that's great, but then, why not just
> add it onto my salary, as it has the same effect.

I think that the assumption is that if the employer arranges the costs
correctly, they don't end up associated with any particular employee, and
so, somehow, magically, the tax liability disappears.

It's also unclear how free lunch *isn't* a taxable benefit within the UK.
[I don't have any idea of the rules in Ireland]

Nicholas Clark