Bonkers

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Mon May 7 12:07:46 BST 2007

On 5/7/07, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 11:14:31AM +0100, Smylers wrote:
> > Nicholas Clark writes:
> > > What's the catch? "Oh, you have broadband. You can fix this from home?"
> > > and you're now considered to be on call?
>
> Yes.  Forty quid a month isn't enough for being on call.

Any company (policy) that does this is borken; I'm not sure what
more's to be said on that.

> > Possibly having something you regularly use in your personal life
> > provided by your employer can tie you in, and make it awkward to quit,
> > or at least hard to do so without a break in service?
>
> Yes.  Or if after you do quit you find that the bill has actually been
> in your name all along and the company didn't pay for the past N
> months (due to an administrative oversight of course) and BT want their
> 600 quid RIGHT NOW - that was very annoying.

Tell me about it - after I left London all the bills were taken over
by the new tenant except BT. Can you say "county court summons"? Of
course, I never actually heard about it until months afterwards, mail
forwarding being less reliable that making a . file in ~...

P, keeping a low profile