compensation package

Robbie Bow robbie at robbiebow.co.uk
Mon May 7 12:50:49 BST 2007

 > Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 18:50:20 +0100 From: David Cantrell
 >
 > Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what a "proper compensation
 > package" is then.  Cos almost all the "perks" that I've been offered
 > at all kinds of places have been worth nothing TO ME.

How about these optional extras:

1. Siestas in the summer e.g. 3-4 hours lunch breaks, with working to
8-9pm in return.
2. Positive policy on sabaticals e.g. 3 - 12 month breaks for whatever
reason (holiday, downtime, working on a large open source project) with
discretionary funding (course fees for MAs/MScs etc.)
3. Substantial bonuses of 20% of salary or more
4. Decent relocation packages
5. Showers, rest rooms, massage, personal trainers
6. Genuine personal development programmes

Just a few ideas nicked mostly from friends in the finance industry who
have stayed with the same employers for 6+ years and are still at the
top of their field.

Too often staying with one employer too long means going stale in this
industry. Companies that can avoid that are good employers to stay with.