Bonkers

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue May 8 16:57:20 BST 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 04:19:08PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 03:59:42PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> >                                                             Considering
> > that the only reason I work is so that I can do things like bugger off
> > up mountains, buy books n beer, eat, have a roof over my head, I clearly
> > want to minimise the amount of time that I waste for my employer.  That
> > means I am ... disinclined to do on-call.  And certainly not for 40 quid
> > a month of DSL.
> I'm not sure that they are the only reasons I work, but...

True, I need to do something where I interact with other people to stop
myself going crazy.  But that wouldn't have to be as a full time
programmer.  That just happens to be the way I can maximise the ratio of
income:time.  If I could go back to being a bus conductor twice a week
while still supporting my current lifestyle, I'd do it in an instant,
and no doubt hack on stuff in my copious spare time.  I'd probably hack
on more stuff too.

Not gonna happen though unless I win the lottery, and that's not gonna
happen cos I don't take part.

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

  engineer: n. one who, regardless of how much effort he puts in
    to a job, will never satisfy either the suits or the scientists